Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Testing

So looks like this thing's still here. Let's give it a whirl for old times' sake. We're accompanied this evening by the soothing sounds of Drag The River's album Hey Buddies... Watched hockey for the first time in too long a little while ago and figured I'd ease back into the groove with some quick thoughts on the game. The Calgary Flames are a pretty good team. They controlled most of the second and third periods in Los Angeles tonight, but couldn't pull out the win. They get contributions from the second and third lines, but just not enough to be anything more than a one-line team. It's shocking to me that in all the time since the lockout, the biggest knock on the Flames has been that they're a one-line team. Now here we are in the fifth season since the lockout, and it's still the same knock. It's inconceivable. That said, I'm not sure how their opponents tonight are winning. I want to say it's misdirection or smoke-and-mirrors or some other magic lingo, but I honestly can't even commit to that description. If anyone can tell me how the LA Kings are winning games, please do. I thought Wayne Simmonds was a better skater than this. I think I could beat him in a goal line-to-goal line sprint, but the man is one effective hockey player. As for Kings netminder Jon Quick, the remark I made to BK earlier is that I've seen Pong paddles with better rebound control than this guy. He and his teammates do a great job clearing rebounds and preventing second-chance opportunities, but I didn't see him make a clean save all night. Incredible. One last thought: looks like NHL 10 finally has AHL rookies like Paul Postma, Carson McMillan, Brett Sonne (OK fine, the guys that graduated from the Hitmen to the American League this season) and others. I'm going to restart my Be A Pro with the Thrashers in hopes of spending a year in the AHL playing defense with Postma. Well, goodnight. I might be back tomorrow with turkey and/or hockey updates.

No comments: