Monday, January 4, 2010

January 4

Well, here we are, the first "real" day of 2010. Back to work, no more long weekend to enjoy, no more Christmastime cheer. All in all though, things are looking up. So let's take a look, then, at what to expect in the Life of Steve in 2010, starting with a large serving of small resolutions. Resolution 1: Write. Daily. At least, every weekday. One of my facebook friends writes a little blog/journal entry every day and it's really inspired me to do the same. So some days this space will be little more than a recap of the day/night before. Sometimes though, that will mean my old-school rants about a whole host of subjects will come to light. Resolution 2: Get back to healthy. I spent most of the last three (really four) months putting off going to the gym, making excuses for eating bad food and for drinking way too much soda. Now that I have a strong handle on the time requirements of my new job, I can easily make the transition back to the gym and can easily cut out the shitty food (I'm looking at you, six cans of Pringles last week). Resolution 3: I'm breaking this one immediately, actually. But, since movies are cheap on Tuesdays, I'm going to start going to a movie every Tuesday. I think I only saw six or seven movies in all of 2009, and that's just not enough. Most movies are terrible, but it's hard to see good movies if you don't ever go. This was going to start tomorrow, but because of the World Junior Hockey Championship gold medal game, will wait a week (only to be interrupted a week later by the Calgary Hitmen). Resolution 4: Spend less money at the comic shop. Or, more accurately, spend my money more wisely at the comic shop. This will go out the window this coming Friday when I buy the new Magic: the Gathering graphic novel (comic book), and a pack of the all-foil cards. Such decadence. Resolution 5: Read more. I haven't picked up a newspaper in months. I think the last paper I read was during my flight to Hamilton in June. Not good. I have no idea what's happening in the world and need to fix that. Laziness/Lateness of resolution means I didn't call to order a subscription just yet, but that's something I can do this afternoon. Resolution 6: Clean up iTunes library. This will probably take all year to do, but I have nearly 10,000 songs in my iTunes library and more than half of them have been played fewer than four times. That's a waste of 20 GB. Of note, and keep in mind, this computer's only about 18 months old, Take My Hand by The Creepshow leads the way with 198 plays. And, hand in hand (pun intended) with that, is to take more control over my "auto-fill blank space" option on my oversized new Pod. No more playlists that include 200 songs by the Beatles and Thin Lizzy. Resolution 7: Hidden directive only to be uncovered when I try to bring harm to an OCP executive. Resolution 8: Music. Seems like an odd resolution, I know. But frankly, other than that new Lady Gaga song, which I can't name, I can't name a single song in the top 40, or a single song that was popular in 2009. Ain't that something. Worse though, is the fact I didn't get to very many local shows in 2009, and that needs to come to an end. I also need to get back into the habit of playing a little guitar every day, which is to say more than just the air variety. Well, that sounds like enough of an over-share for today. We have a new-hire training class starting today, meaning new minds for me to sculpt in about six weeks. Other than that, I'm looking forward to dying a little at the gym tonight, and finishing the David Cross book (full review to come!) in the next day or two. And a final sporting thought for the day: GO SUISSE!!

No comments: