Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I may be watching again, but they're still idiots

Well how about that?  Just one day after I wrote to explain my recent dealings with the NHL, after I swore off the league, they go ahead and do the exact thing that sent me away last spring all over again.

I’m referring, of course, to Marc Staal’s hit on Matt Stajan Monday night.  The league announced Tuesday they will not suspend Staal for this hit, which is of course, the exact opposite stance they took when Joe Thornton hit David Perron with an almost identical hit.

Neither hit falls under the league’s new definition of blindside hits as neither is initiated from behind.  But both are delivered while the player is looking away, and both are hits to the head.

Yet Thornton got suspended and Staal did not. 

Once again the NHL proves they have no idea how to handle supplemental discipline.  I don’t even know what else to say on the matter. 

Until players are regularly suspended for this kind of hit, and until the league starts to discipline players with any kind of consistency, these hits will continue to happen and players will continue to be in danger. 

Here are the clips, have a look and have your say.


No comments: