Sunday, June 22, 2008

LMITR Movie Review-- Get Smart

Spoiler alert: the movie is pretty funny, they stop the bad guys in time, and the guy gets the girl. Phew, thank goodness we got that out of the way.

This time ‘round, the film in question is Get Smart.

I won’t compare it to the tv show, since I don’t remember if I ever did watch it. So instead, I just sat back, ate my nachos, and tried to enjoy myself.

And it turns out, that’s exactly what I did. You’ve got your generic spy movie plot, you’ve got Mel Brooks in charge of slapstick comedy, Steve Carell being far less loathsome than I normally find him, and a veritable who’s-who list of “That guy”s playing the smaller parts. To top it all off, you’ve got the best airplane bathroom scene since Tommy Boy (director Peter Segal’s other good movie).

So what more could you ask for? For a family-friendly comedy that packs as many laughs as any movie in recent memory, you couldn’t ask for much more at all. Even the gags from the trailers hold up well in the film’s context.

See this movie.

No comments: