Sunday, August 17, 2008

Bigfoot exists

Friday morning I got to work in time to find the most amazing link ever had made its way to my inbox.

It was a link to a CNN article (again, CNN, not The Onion) about a pair of guys from some backwoods town that claimed to have found... BIGFOOT!

And not just THE Bigfoot, but a whole family/herd of Bigfoot-like critters.

The article said these guys were going to hold a press conference to unveil some sort of DNA that was supposed to prove this was the real deal.

I’ll spare the suspense, and I’ll spoil the ending: as always, the Bigfoot discovery turned out to be a hoax. I can only imagine you’re as surprised reading that as I was typing it. ::eyeroll::

But there was a period of 15 minutes or so, while I was forwarding the email to anyone and everyone in the office, that I was actually quite hopeful this was the real thing. You know how that is. At one point, you’ve probably tried really hard to believe something. Like, Jack Black is funny, or the girl/guy in the next cubical desperately wants to have sex with you, or this really is the Maple Leafs year. We all do it.

I’m no psychology expert, but I’m sure one could tell you all the details about these little fantasies that help us make it through the day. So for a very brief period Friday morning, my fantasy was to hope this Bigfoot was real. So when it came crashing down, as expected, I was a little disappointed with the inevitable outcome.

Still no Bigfoot, but hey, maybe next year. I’ll leave you with an actual quote from the San Jose Mercury News, from Matthew Whitton, one of the discoverers: “It seems like there are lot of people in the Bigfoot world who are a little delusional.”

No comments: